I’ve been wanting to try this for a while…the only disappointment after having it for dinner last night was that I hadn’t done so sooner!
Low Carb Oven Fried Chicken
8-12 pieces of dark meat chicken (thighs and/or drumsticks)
3 cups ground pork rinds
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 tablespoons dried parsley
4 tablespoon butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse and pat chicken pieces dry.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl that will allow you to easily dip chicken pieces.
- In a sealable plastic bag combine pork rinds, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper and parsley; seal and shake well to mix seasonings well.
- Thoroughly dip one piece of chicken in egg wash, being sure to coat all surfaces.
- Place chicken piece in seasoning bag, seal, and shake until well and evenly coated; remove from bag and set aside.
- Repeat until all chicken is breaded.
- Put butter in a pan large enough to accommodate chicken comfortable; place pan in oven until butter melts.
- Arrange breaded chicken pieces in pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until temperature of largest piece reaches at least 165 degrees and crust is golden brown and crispy.
source: Vida con Carne
TIP: If it makes life easier, chicken can be breaded in advance and stored in refrigerator until ready to bake. I did this myself yesterday — got it ready to go mid-morning, then waited until mid-afternoon when Brian came home from work to bake it. I took it out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature while I took about 10 minutes to heat the oven.