Another cheap meat purchase from the supermercado: pork leg roast. I’ve never used this cut before, but know that it’s hard to go wrong with pork cooked low and slow. So I pulled out my trusty dutch oven and went to town.
Chunky Pork Chili
2-3 pounds pork leg roast
1 tablespoon sea or kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoon chicken soup base or bouillon
3 tablespoon chili powder
Sour cream & shredded cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Combine salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder; evenly season all sides of pork roast.
- Add olive oil to dutch oven and sear roast over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove roast from dutch oven and set aside.
- Add 4 cups water to dutch oven and bring to a simmer, scraping pan with wooden spoon, then stir in chicken base and chili powder until fully dissolved.
- Return pork roast to dutch oven, cover tightly with lid, and roast in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until pork is falling apart and tender.
- Remove from oven and use wooden spoon to pull pork apart or shred and stir well.
- Garnish with sour cream and/or shredded cheese, if desired.
source: Vida con Carne